History of Brna

Brna developed in 19th century as a port for transport of wine from Smokvica to ports on the Adriatic and Mediterranean coasts. With this the development of the settlement begun. The name of the settlement comes from Latin word ‘tavern’ which means a ship workshop. Brna as the safest port on the southern part of the island was an import-export port of not only Smokvica but also of other places on the island. In 1860 the maritime government built Brna waterfront with about 200 embarkations and disembarkations yearly. Wine, olive oil, pine cortex, pine logs for ship building and fire wood were exported. Everything that the inhabitants of Smokvica and island needed was importing here. At a high land in the middle of the bay there is a small church of St. Stephen built in 1971. The legend says that Odysseus during his journeys visited Brna, anchored several days in front of the bay and enjoyed its beauty. 

Brna- povijest_1 Brna-povijest 2Brna-povijest 3

It is possible that the mermaids kept him company during his stay. According to a legend they are hiding at the bottom of the sea and are sun-bathing in nearby bays. This beautiful, well protected locality enabled development of this settlement from a fishing into a tourist centre. In 1960 the Tourist board was established and mainly dealt with the renting of private accommodation in Brna and Smokvica. With an increase of numbers of tourists arose a need for the expansion of the tourist capacity. Therefore in 1971 hotel Feral was built. The hotel was renovated in 2005 and awarded four stars. With construction of the hotel the people from Smokvica began building apartments and weekend houses in Brna, therefore starting developing private accommodation. Today, Brna is a tourist destination with numerous facilities.