Smokvica is one of the five oldest settlements on the island of Korčula with a continuity of human presence from prehistory until today. It would be wrong to associate the name of the place with the Mediterranean fruit fig. The name Smokvica comes from roman languages and is connected to the presence of water. In the close by field of Siknica there are many puddles which in Antiquity gave name to this area. Although the settlement is first mentioned in the Korcula Statute from 1214, there are evidence that people inhabited this area long before such as the Ilirian Gradina from the second century BC, as well as remains of early Croatian cemetery in vicinity of today’s cemetery. Through the history the inhabitants had to fight against many invaders. On the locality of ‘Krvava ropa’ a big battle against Turkish invaders took place. There is a good reason why the old centre in vicinity of St. Michael’s church was well fortified. The St. Michael’s church is built on a rock from which there is a good view of all the main roads leading to Smokvica. In memory of the many battles and the role of the Smokvica guards in them, Kumpanija, the Knight Sword dance was developed. It portrays a fight of the locals against the invaders. On the territory of Smokvica, during history many cultures changed, evidence of which can be seen in Antique ceramics, the Anciant Greek wine press, rustic villas, middle age churches and a castle of Korčula nobleman. Administratively, Smokvica was part of medieval Korčula commune with its seat in Korčula.
This was until 1843 when it became the integral part of the newly established municipality of Blato and until the end of the second world war. In 1955 Smokvica and nearby Čara become local committees within the Municipality of Korčula. In 1993 Smokvica was given the status of municipality which it holds today. Today, the municipality of Smokvica has 1,000 inhabitants. The highest number of inhabitants was registered after the First World War, around 1,400. Through history and today Smokvica people have been famous as crafted farmers, very religious and great patriots. In 1914 a primary school was built in Smokvica. However, the regular schooling was initiated back in 1876. Since 1955 until today Smokvica has had a health centre. In 2001 a new building was built offering basic health care. Through the centuries the main trade in Smokvica was and still is grape and olive growing. In 1953 a winery was built in Smokvica which started with phases of production and the sale of wine. Today Smokvica has several wineries that offer not only wine but also olive oil and various aromatised liquors and brandies. Tour
ism in Smokvica started developing in 1907 with the opening of the first lodging and tavern, evidence of which can be found in the first guest book. The guests at that time were mainly from Europe and mostly from Italy. In 1960 tourism slowly expanded onto Brna bay. The cultural and social life of Smokvica is enriched by many NGOs that strive to preserve Smokvica customs and traditions. Apart from Kumpanija; traditional folk dances, klape (Croatian a cappella singing), church choir, old fashion singing, brass band and many other activities are active in Smovica. Many well known artists, poets and priests come from Smokvica. The municipality of Smokvica under its administration also has settlements of Brna and Vinačac (at the southern part of the island) and settlement of Blaca (on the north side of the island).
Your Browser is not able to handle IFRAME: Check here for more weather: WEATHER365.net